Picture by Roger Bamber : 16 February 1999 : A pantomime cow on the cliffs at Beachy Head
Picture by Roger Bamber : 16 February 1999 : A pantomime cow on the cliffs at Beachy Head, near Eastbourne, East Sussex. The Pantomime cow was on the cliff looking over the channel to France as part of a protest against the suffering of the live cattle and sheep crammed into lorries and ferries for export.
© Roger Bamber / TopFoto
Dogmersfield House and Park, Hampshire - engraving after J. Landseer, early 19th
Dogmersfield House and Park, Hampshire - engraving after J. Landseer, early 19th century -
Mentioned in the Domesday Book in 1086, 'Doccemere feld' (Water lilies-in-the-lake) was the site of the original building, a medieval palace for the Bishops of Bath and Wells. It remained an ecclesiastical residence for 400 years until becoming a Crown property in the reign of Henry VIII. Henry's son Edward VI gave it to Lord Wriothsley, the first Earl of Southampton in the 16th century. The house was sold by the third Earl and passed through a number of different yeoman families. In 1728, some 50 years before the canal was envisaged, the first Baronet St John built a new manor house. It was enlarged by his son, Sir Henry Mildmay, and remained in the family until 1933. During the second World War the house accommodated Dutch and Polish airmen. It became Reed's School for girls; a seminary for Spanish priests and finally Daneshill Preparatory School. In 1981 Dogmersfield House was destroyed by fire. Appropriately for the 20th century, an international computer company, Amdahl, rebuilt it. The restored and extended house was re-opened by the Princess Royal in 1986.
The Marconi trans - Atlantic wireless station at Carnarvon, North Wales. This station
The Marconi trans - Atlantic wireless station at Carnarvon, North Wales. This station is operated from London by underground cable. It has the distinction of being the first English wireless station to communicate directly to Australia, this being done in September 1918.
Marconi 's Wireless Telegraph Co Ltd.
1 January 1925