Dogmersfield House and Park, Hampshire - engraving after J. Landseer, early 19th
Dogmersfield House and Park, Hampshire - engraving after J. Landseer, early 19th century -
Mentioned in the Domesday Book in 1086, Doccemere feld (Water lilies-in-the-lake) was the site of the original building, a medieval palace for the Bishops of Bath and Wells. It remained an ecclesiastical residence for 400 years until becoming a Crown property in the reign of Henry VIII. Henry's son Edward VI gave it to Lord Wriothsley, the first Earl of Southampton in the 16th century. The house was sold by the third Earl and passed through a number of different yeoman families. In 1728, some 50 years before the canal was envisaged, the first Baronet St John built a new manor house. It was enlarged by his son, Sir Henry Mildmay, and remained in the family until 1933. During the second World War the house accommodated Dutch and Polish airmen. It became Reed's School for girls; a seminary for Spanish priests and finally Daneshill Preparatory School. In 1981 Dogmersfield House was destroyed by fire. Appropriately for the 20th century, an international computer company, Amdahl, rebuilt it. The restored and extended house was re-opened by the Princess Royal in 1986.
6032.tif Herstmonceux Castle entrance - East Sussex - view of the exterior - one
6032.tif Herstmonceux Castle entrance - East Sussex - view of the exterior - one of the first major brick buildings in the UK - begun in 1441 by Sir Roger Fiennes - owned by Queen's University of Canada.
?TopFoto View of the exterior (photo)
Additional Info begun in 1441 by Sir Roger Fiennes; owned by Queen's University of Canada;
Artist English School, (15th century)
Location Herstmonceux, East Sussex, UK
Classification ARCHITECTURE - BRITISH ISLES - PHOTOGRAPH
Keywords moat brick building Elizabethan medieval renaissance country home International Study Centre grandeur grand drawbridge towers turrets crenellated
The Charter House, Finsbury, London in 1755. Granted 1545 to Sir Edward North. Finally
The Charter House, Finsbury, London in 1755. Granted 1545 to Sir Edward North. Finally, in 1611, transformed by Sir Thomas Sutton into the Hospital and School here represented. (From a print published according to Act of Parliament, 1755, for Stow's Survey.
Photo shows aerial view of Charterhouse school and the surrounding area, with the main building and clock tower, tree lined green, chapel and kitchen garden.